Chicken, tomato and olive casserole
4 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups Ceres Organics Sorghum
Dot’s Cooking Oil Spray
500g Waitoa Free Range Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut in 3cm cubes
1 onion, thinly sliced
80g rindless eye bacon, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
1/3 cup (80ml) white wine
400g can Delmaine Crushed Tomatoes
1/2 cup water
handful Palmers Fresh Rosemary
1/3 cup (50g) Delmaine Pitted Kalamata Olives, halved
2 cups green beans, topped and tailed
Countdown Select Black Pepper
Palmers Fresh Parsley, to garnish
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Boil water in kettle then pour into a large pot. Add sorghum then cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and grain has plumped up, about 50 minutes. It should be tender with a pleasant bite.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and spray with oil. Cook chicken, in batches, for 2 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan.
- Spray pan again with oil and add onion, bacon and celery. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, rosemary, olives and chicken to pan. Stir to combine then bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add beans and cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with a generous amount of black pepper. Add a little water if necessary so it’s nice and saucy – sorghum appreciates a saucy dish.
- Serve chicken with sorghum, garnished with fresh parsley.
Make it gluten free: Check bacon is gluten free.
This recipe is proudly sponsored by Mastercraft, Countdown, Ceres Organics, Delmaine, DēLonghi, Dot’s, Palmers and Waitoa.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Read more about this chef..