Leek, kale and potato soup with pizza pitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups hot reduced-salt stock
- 4 cups boiling water
- 120g pack kale and spinach mix
- sprinkling of ground nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons light sour cream, to serve
- sprinkling of chopped fresh mint, to serve
- salt and pepper, to season
- Pizza toasts
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup halved sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 40g flaked almonds
- 4 wholemeal mini pita breads
Total fat 20g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook leek and garlic for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, stock and water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and spinach mix with nutmeg and cook for 5 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make pita pizzas. Combine herbs, tomato, parmesan and almonds. Cut pitas in triangles and top with herb and tomato mix. Grill until golden.
- Blend soup to a chunky consistency. Season to taste. Serve with a spoonful each of sour cream and mint, with pizza pitas on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock, ground nutmeg and sour cream are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Check pita is vegan, omit sour cream and use vegan parmesan, such as Angel Food
Read more about this chef..