Mexican beef and capsicums with rainbow rice
1 cup brown rice
1 carrot, diced
1 courgette, diced
1/4 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
1 small red onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 red capsicums, sliced
350g lean beef steak, sliced
3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons Mexican seasoning
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to garnish (optional)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
- In a pot add rice and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, spray a pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add carrot and courgette and stir-fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Add corn and heat through. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Spray same pan with oil and return to a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and capsicum and stir-fry, cooking until veges are tender, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add sliced steak and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of the Mexican seasoning. Cook 2-3 minutes, until tomatoes are softened.
- Add remaining Mexican seasoning and carrot and courgette mixture to rice. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve steak mix with rice, garnished with coriander and yoghurt, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check seasoning is gluten free.
Read more about this chef..