Chicken, leek and mushroom pie
Time to make: 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
Total cost: $ 31.62 / $ 5.27 per serve
(at time of publication)
1 tablespoon olive oil
900g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, chopped in 2-3cm pieces
1 large leek, white part only and cut in 1cm slices
4 cups sliced button mushrooms
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
4 stalks celery, sliced finely
5 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
1 1/2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
3 tablespoons cornflour
1 cup trim milk
ground black pepper
2 sheets pre-rolled frozen reduced-fat puff or flaky pastry
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly grease a pie dish with oil spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for a couple of minutes. Don’t worry if not completely cooked through. Set chicken aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium-low and cook vegetables until they start to soften. Add herbs and stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, create a smooth paste with cornflour and some of the milk. Add paste, remaining milk and salt and pepper to pan. Add chicken. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add mixture to pie dish. Cover pie with pastry sheets, sealing edges with your fingers. Slice across into pastry top with a knife to allow steam to escape. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
To make ahead, once cool, place pie tin in freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 weeks. Reheat at 180°C until piping hot.
Make double the pie filling and refrigerate half for up to 2 days. Reheat thoroughly and serve on brown rice with wilted spinach or steamed broccoli.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Read more about this chef..