Chicken pot pie with creamy broccoli
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
4 Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped Swiss brown mushrooms
300g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 2cm pieces
2/3 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, plus 1 extra teaspoon
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups roughly chopped spinach, gai lan or silver beet leaves
freshly ground black pepper
3 sheets filo pastry
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tablespoons light sour cream
Total fat 29g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 10g
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a large pan, heat half the oil over a medium-high heat. Add carrot, spring onion, garlic and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms and stir, cooking for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked. Remove vegetable mix from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes, until just cooked through. Return veges to pan.
- In a bowl, combine stock, 1/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons mustard and flour and stir with a fork until well combined. Add to vege mix and combine. Add spinach or other greens and stir to combine. Season generously with black pepper. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place chicken and vege mix in a casserole or baking dish. Scrunch up filo sheets and arrange on top. Spray with oil. Bake in the oven for around 5-8 minutes, until filo is golden and crisp.
- While pie is in the oven, steam or microwave broccoli until tender (about 2 minutes). Place in a bowl and add sour cream and remaining teaspoon of the mustard. Stir well to coat broccoli. Season with black pepper. Serve with chicken pie.
This chicken mixture is great as a casserole on its own, served with mash. Make double and freeze for another night.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $82. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Read more about this chef..