Mexican bean stew
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
2 1/2 cups diced butternut pumpkin
2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
3 cups sliced mushrooms
1 red capsicum, sliced
4 tomatoes, chopped
400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
cracked black pepper
handful of fresh herbs, chopped
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 11g
- In a saucepan, heat oil on low and gently fry onion for 10 minutes. Add paprika, garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium and add pumpkin, stock, 2 cups of water, and bay leaf. Cook for 15 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms, capsicum and tomatoes and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add beans, squeeze over the lemon juice and season. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Stir in remaining herbs just before serving.
- Choose from the following two serving options.
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 45 Minutes
- Ingredient : Cannellini beans, Capsicum, peppers, Garlic - fresh, Herbs - dried, lightly dried, Herbs - fresh, Lemons, Mushrooms, Oil, oil spray, Onions, Pepper, peppercorns, Pumpkin, butternut, squash, Salt, Spices - dried, ground, seeds, flakes, Stock, Tomatoes - fresh
Option 1: Serve as a burrito bowl
Total cost: $22.36 / $5.59 per serve
Heat Mexican bean stew and serve with 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, 4 cups sliced iceberg lettuce, 1/2 avocado (smashed with lemon juice) and 4 chopped fresh tomatoes.
- Nutrition information per serve: 2150kJ (512cal), 15g protein, 16g total fat, 3g sat fat, 70g carbs, 19g sugars, 16g fibre, 770mg sodium, 120mg calcium, 4.5mg iron
- Vegetarian, no dairy, high fibre, high iron, 7 1/2 vege serves
Option 2: Serve with eggs
Total cost: $18.25 / $4.57 per serve
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat Mexican bean stew in a skillet, make dents in the stew with a spoon and crack 4 eggs into the dents. Transfer to oven and cook for 10 minutes.
Nutrition information per serve: 1270kJ (303cal), 16g protein, 13g total fat, 3g sat fat, 25g carbs, 15g sugars, 10g fibre, 830mg sodium, 130mg calcium, 4.5mg iron
Vegetarian, no dairy, low kJ, high fibre, high iron, 5 vege serves
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices and stock are gluten free.
This recipe can easily be tripled and frozen in portions for later.
All rights reserved
Reproduction without permission prohibited
Read more about this chef..