Miso-glazed roasted eggplant with sesame rice
Time to make: 40 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
Total cost: $ 20.88 / $ 5.22 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1/4 cup white miso (see tips)
1/4 cup mirin
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
2 teaspoons castor sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
4 medium eggplants, halved lengthways
2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds (see tips)
shredded spring onion and micro-herbs, to garnish (optional, see tips)
2 bunches steamed broccolini or 3 cups broccoli florets, to serve
Total fat 9g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. In a small bowl, combine miso, mirin, ginger, sugar and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Score a diamond pattern into the eggplant flesh (take care not to cut through the skin).
- Arrange eggplant, flesh-side up, on the baking tray. Brush with miso mixture and spray with olive oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until flesh is tender.
- Stir sesame seeds through warm rice.
- Top eggplant with spring onion and micro-herbs, if using. Serve with sesame rice and steamed broccolini.
Make it vegan: Check miso and mirin are vegan.
Miso paste is a Japanese seasoning made from fermented soy beans and rice or barley. It has a salty, umami flavour.
If you can’t find black sesame seeds, just use white ones.
Micro-herbs can be found in some supermarkets in the fresh section, or in specialty food stores.
Read more about this chef..