Lamb souvlaki with bulgar, tomato and feta salad
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
8 wooden skewers
500g lean lamb leg steak, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 small courgettes, cut into 1cm-thick rounds
3/4 cup bulgar
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
3 large tomatoes, deseeded, diced
1 telegraph cucumber, diced
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
50g feta, crumbled
1 tablespoon lemon juice
cracked black pepper
1/3 cup reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Soak the skewers in water for 10 minutes, to prevent burning.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lamb pieces, dried oregano and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Thread the lamb and courgette rounds onto the wooden skewers.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, place bulgar, cover with boiling water and set aside to soak for 4 minutes. Drain, pressing the bulgar with the back of a spoon to remove any excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine spring onions, tomato, cucumber, parsley, feta, lemon juice, remaining olive oil and bulgar. Season with black pepper.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue hotplate to medium-high. Cook skewers, turning, for 5–6 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer skewers to a plate, cover with foil and set aside to rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve the skewers with bulgar salad and a dollop of yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free couscous instead of bulgar, and check Greek-style yoghurt is gluten free.
Read more about this chef..