Crumbed chicken with coleslaw and cauliflower mash
Time to make: 35 mins , plus 1 hr marinating
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 22.40 / $ 5.60 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 cup low-fat plain yoghurt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 5-6 pieces
2 cups panko breadcrumbs (see tip)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, plus extra to garnish
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 medium (800g) cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups prepared slaw mix (dressing excluded)
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a bowl, whisk together yoghurt, garlic, salt, pepper and half the lemon juice. Pour 3/4 of the mixture in a large bowl. Set remaining yoghurt mix aside. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate (or longer if preparing ahead).
- In a bowl, mix panko crumbs, parsley and half of the parmesan. Dip each chicken piece in the crumb mixture to coat, and place on prepared baking tray. Discard used marinade.
- Spray chicken with a little oil. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and juices run clear when you slice through the thickest part of the chicken.
- While chicken cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain and place in a food processor. Add olive oil and remaining parmesan and lemon juice. Blitz until smooth.
- In a large salad bowl add slaw mix and reserved yoghurt mix. Toss to combine.
- To serve, divide chicken, coleslaw and mash among 4 plates and garnish with parsley.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free breadcrumbs.
Panko are a Japanese-style breadcrumb and are available at most supermarkets.
Read more about this chef..